I love road trips. Mainly because it gives me time to practice my DJ-ing skills..(or lack thereof) Joe loves it too, because he likes to drive and roll his eyes at all the crazy OLD music I put on and make him listen to. But no only do I make him listen to music, I also enjoy practicing for singing career (or a really BIG lack thereof!) I love belting out tunes, anything by Celine Dion or Whitney Houston ("I will Always Love you") It's so crazy to me how many old songs I remember most of the words to. Joe thinks I'm a freak of nature..he's probably right. But, one of the great things about being married, is now Joe is stuck with me, terrible singing voice and bad taste in music and all!
Another reason that I love riding in the car for long trips is because I get to take a trip down memory lane. Those old CD's remind me mostly of college (because that's when most of them were made!) I have some from Freshman Year (thanks Amanda and Lauren) and throughout the rest of college. Each song reminding me of some of the best times I've ever had. So I thought it would be nice to share some of those songs and those memories:
- Anything by Ingram Hill (esp. Closer) remind me mostly of the summer before Freshman year and Freshman year in general. They were pretty big (in my world) back then and would play at local bars here in Memphis (Highland) and then at the fraternity houses at State. I was OBSESSED with the lead singer and became sort of his stalker....I used to think he was SOO HOT, but now looking back at the CD, he was kind of a scrawny curly headed band guy. I think if we had dated, it wouldn't have worked out.
- Little Black Backpack, by Stroke 9 -- this one reminds me about one of the best road trips I've ever been on. It was freshmen year, and it was literally spur of the moment, Meg and Sarah came down to my room (keep in mind it was 1st semester and I barely knew them) and said, let's go, we're heading on a road trip with 2 older Phi Mu's Ginny and Blair...we made it down to Destin and stayed at the Hampton Inn by the Back Porch and ended up running into the band Stroke 9. yes I know, they aren't that popular, but they had that one hit song. Well we hung out on their tour bus half the night. We got free CD's, t-shirts, and guitar picks, I mean, it was the craziest thing. We had so much fun. I had new phi mu friends and made such memories....Stories to tell the grand kids for sure!
- Dave Mathews Band, Cowboy Mouth, and Rap Booty Music remind me of Spring break freshmen year. (and yes, that random mix was all on 1 CD) We went to Destin and stayed at Sarah's condo. Joe was down there with a bunch of his friends staying in a house down the road. We hung out several nights.....that's pretty much when we became "official" even though we'd really been dating for about 2 months...but would never actually call it what it was...
- Indian Outlaw reminds me of Blair who had never heard of that Tim McGraw song until like Senior year (She lived in a bubble most of her life! ha), and Tiffany who introduced it to her. We'd ride back roads and listen to music so loud, I'm not sure how we didn't bust out Tee's speakers!!
- Stay by Lisa Loeb is one of my favorite songs to sing Kareoke to. It reminds me of Kristin because it's one of her favorite songs to sing too. In fact at any given Kareoke night at The Hat, the whole group of us would get up on stage (after several Jumbo Margs) and sing Stay, the song from Austin Powers (I love myself..something..) and anything else we could think of. I think we all love Stay specifically because we know every single word (and correctly I might add...there are plenty of songs I sing, but make up words for parts that I don't really know..)
-Man in the Mirror. Let me paint the picture. Senior Year Summer. Best of my life. Every single night out at Old Venice, we'd stay late and make the bartenders play that song for us. We'd get up on the bar (sometimes with people still there, or maybe not...didn't matter..we ran that place!) and we'd sing it at the top of our lungs. People must have thought we were so weird!! We didn't care. But really we'd play anything by good ole Michael Jackson....I know the dance moves to Beat It too....Me and Blair would also perform this at the bar at any given moment....
- Shake ya Tailfeather, will always hold a special memory for me because it always makes me laugh. I picked Joe up from the bar one night and obviously, he'd had a little too much to drink, and he started singing the chorus to shake ya Tailfeather and dancing up around me. All I could do was laugh..(he'd never remember the next day!) And the best, after I had fixed him something to eat, he finished, and dropped his napkin on the floor....he dips down and shakes his butt in the air. It was seriously the funniest thing I've ever witnessed him doing. And I tell everyone this story, but it's much better in person when I can actually demonstrate the tailfeather shake.
- Time of your life, by Green Day. This is probably one of my favorite songs, mainly because I think it describes so much of how I felt about College and Mississippi State and Phi Mu. If you know me, I'm nervous about change. It freaks me out, but then when I get there and go for it, I end up finding out that some of the things I'm most afraid of, are the best decisions of my life.
This weekend I'm headed to New Orleans with some of these great friends from College. Kristin is getting married in May and we are celebrating her last days of singleness. Let me tell you, I. Can't. Wait. I'm so excited about seeing my friends and just letting loose for the weekend, eating late night Papa and shopping and dancing around at all the bars. These are some of my favorite people in the world to be spending time with and I can't wait to see them! Of course the road trip down there will be great, catching up on gossip and listening to some good tunes!
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I finished my home makeover story...I got interupted at work so I jsut now got to finish!
Ahhh!! I love this blog! It mentions two fav college memories! - Stroke 9 Road trip and Ingram Hill. Let's just say your obsession with Justin was beyond insane!
Post a Comment