Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Looks like a Tornado Swept through here!




Well that's because it did! My mom used to say that about my room which she wasn't so far off...my room usually did look like a tornado ran through it everyday growing up. But now, Joe tries to keep me in line and makes me clean more...I do however, have my one messy space (my closet! and he can't say a thing...it's my one messy haven of a room!) Anyway, yes it's true...Memphis was hit hard by the tornado on Tuesday as was Jackson. Memphians usually prepare for really bad weather and then never get, however this time, we weren't so lucky. Jackson on the other hand has gotten hit so many times over the past several years, it's unbelievable. But with each storm they rebuild even better. This time, Union University was hit the hardest. They say it's worse than the Tornado that hit about 4 years ago. 80% of the campus has been destroyed!! I can't imagine. Most of the dorms were hit, one trapping in about 8 guys. Luckily all were rescued and are doing well. I listen to talk radio everyday at work. Yesterday on the Ben Ferguson show, they had one of the survivors on the phone, talking about what he went through. He said they literally saw it coming and ran into a bathroom, then not a second later, it hit hard. He said it lasted about a minute and a half of really strong winds and with the walls collapsing on them. I think that would have to be one of the scariest things to go through. If I wasn't already a little claustrophobic, then this would definitely get me there! In Memphis, some of the big damage was done to the Hickory Ridge Mall and surrounding area.(for some reason I couldn't find a picture of this online..but I'll look some more..) This is also very sad to me. This is a place I used to frequent much as a young little girl. First shopping trips with mom (back when Hickory Ridge was safe!) I was actually just in that mall a few weeks ago. I had to go to the Express DMV. I got my name changed officially to "Shearin" It's so weird seeing pictures online of the damage! My dad drove by there the other morning on his way home, and he said it looked like a war zone!









Mother Nature sure is an amazing force, my heart goes out to families who have lost loved ones in this storm, and I'm thankful that my close friends and family were all safe and sound. The two pictures above are at the Walgreens about 3/4 a mile from Joe's Parent's house!! Which really in Jackson, nothings that far away. I'm so glad they were all ok!

No comments: